Saturday, December 31, 2011

Old Tricks

Robert Lee Brewer's latest Wednesday prompt was to write a "new start" poem, and as I thought about the new year, my thoughts were drawn to the fact that "New Years' Resolutions" are really pretty futile. About the only thing I can hope for is to just close my eyes, take a deep breath, pray...and leap.



Old Tricks

I feel like the proverbial "old dog":
The one who can't learn a new trick, looking
At the new year expecting to find hope
And excitement, having no idea
How to actually make that happen.
My old tricks have proven unsuccessful,
And I scoff at the new philosophies
Designed to make me believe in myself,
When that's not the problem. I can believe
All I want, but my world has other plans.

I take a step forward, but I stumble,
I'm tripped, distracted, or derailed, often
All at the same time. My ambition aims
Higher than my energy lasts; my will
Constantly beaten down by a desease
Both exhausting and unpredictable.
So every day I start over, every
Year I dive in, not knowing if the pool
Is filled. Will I splash or crash?  "Cannonball!"
I cry, an old trick, but still my best one.


Caren E. Salas

1 comment:

  1. I like the clear-eyed realism of this, well done. It may be an old trick, but if it works, it works.

    Hope it's a good year ahead,
    Moskowitz

    ReplyDelete