Thursday, November 3, 2011

This Wasn't It

Day 2 - an epigraph poem. This is a poem inspired by a specific quote, shown under the title but before the body. Gotta' love Groucho.


This Wasn't It

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." - Groucho Marx


The place was a dump, the service was bad
The food was the absolute worst that I've had.
The company, boring, and so was the show
At last I got up and said "I have to go!"

"I have an appointment, or maybe a date,
Or was it a manicure? Whatever! I'm late!"
I ran out the door, but the valet was gone.
It appeared that my car would be pinned in 'til dawn.

I got on my cell to call for a ride,
Debating if I should go wait back inside.
But the thought of returning was too much to bear.
I knew that I just had to get out of there!

I've had many evenings with friends, having fun,
But sadly, I'd have to say, this wasn't one.


Caren E. Salas

Photo:  chicagotribune.com

No comments:

Post a Comment